A Shark Plush
Sharks are cartilaginous fish that inhabit the waters of oceans around the world, as well as some seas and rivers. They appeared a few hundred million years ago and since then more than 400 species of sharks grouped into more than 30 families have been able to develop. You can consult this article to discover shark species more in detail.
All these species offer a wide variety of sharks with sharks measuring 14 centimeters and others over 20 meters for the Whale Shark and the Basking Shark. Shark species include known sharks with a shape that is familiar to us such as the Great White Shark, the Tiger Shark,... but also atypical sharks such as the Hammerhead Shark, the Goblin Shark but also the mysterious Greenland Shark. Scientists have only been able to observe this marine animal a few times and little is known about it, but it is assumed that it can live to be over 400 years old!
The image of the shark in our society is a bad reputation created with films and the media, but in reality only a few species of sharks are aggressive if we go into their territory, but sharks are mainly victims of overfishing and a third shark species are threatened with extinction according to the IUCN. If you want to know more about these fascinating and terrifying sea and ocean animals, you can read our article on sharks .
Fun Facts About Sharks
- The Greenland Shark is the slowest moving fish ever recorded .
- Sharks are apex predators. They have multiple rows of teeth and can lose and replace thousands of teeth in their lifetime. As predators, sharks play an essential role in the health of marine ecosystems: by eating fish, they help create balance in the food chain.
- Sharks don't have bones.
- Great white sharks are gray with a white belly, hence their name. They have an aerodynamic shape and a powerful tail that propels them through the water at over 60 km per hour!
- Sharks live in most ocean habitats. They are found in beautiful tropical coral reefs, in the open ocean, and even under arctic sea ice.
- The spotting pattern of each whale shark is unique as a fingerprint.
Hammerhead sharks have a 360 degree field of vision.
The rare Megamouth Shark or Bigmouth Shark feeds on krill.
Sharks have been around for a very long time. Based on fossil scales found in Australia and the United States, scientists assume that sharks first appeared in the ocean around 455 million years ago.
- Sharks exhibit great diversity in their reproductive patterns. There are oviparous species (which lay eggs) and viviparous species.
- Shark embryos in eggs can sense approaching danger.
- Tiger shark embryos eat each other in the womb.
- The shark has a sixth sense! All sharks have a "sixth sense" that helps them spot their prey during the final phase of the attack. They detect electric fields emitted by animals in the surrounding water.
While many believe Great White Sharks are fearsome man-eaters, humans are not, in fact, on the great white's menu. Phew! There are around 5-10 attacks per year, but researchers believe that rather than preying on humans to eat them, the sharks instead take a "sample bite" out of curiosity, before swimming away .
Sharks are threatened. Many sharks are caught accidentally in fishing gear, as well as deliberately for their fins, which are a delicacy in Asia (shark-finning: this is a fishing practice of cutting off their fins when they are alive and then throwing them into the ocean). Their ocean habitat is also in danger. From warming water – which affects both shark habitats, prey and populations – to plastic pollution, which could cause tangles or be ingested, especially by filter feeders.
Buy a Shark Plush
Sharks are fascinating marine animals and chances are your child loves them too. Adopting a shark at home, however, would be a bit complicated! A shark plush then appears to be a good solution. With all our different plush toys, you will be able to find happiness for your child. From the giant white shark plush to the hammerhead shark or whale shark plush, you have something to meet all the expectations of your little one.
In addition, they are all manufactured in accordance with our standards of quality with materials carefully selected in advance. Thanks to all this attention, your child will be able to benefit from a soft toy gentle And soft that we can't resist cuddling. His teddy will also be there in the blues to comfort him and make him find his big smile again while playing at the bottom of the ocean!
If your little sailor prefers marine animals with unparalleled intelligence, you can consult our collection Octopus plush toy .